What a Noisy AC Means
A noisy air conditioner can indicate any number of problems. If you hear something that doesn’t sound right, act quickly. A professional technician can diagnose common problems and implement solutions before the system fails. Electrical or mechanical issues, improper coolant levels and flaws in the ductwork are the most frequent causes of strange noises.
Other Common Causes of AC Noises
- Whistling and whining noises are usually caused by clogged filters or cracked ducts.
- Gurgling noises may occur when the refrigerant flows back after the cooling cycle, but they can also indicate improper refrigerant levels or a problem with the condensate drain.
- Rhythmic whacking sounds happen when something is impeding the fan or blower blades. It could be caused by debris or a bent blade. This can increase resistance and cause your blower motor to fail.
- Humming and grinding can indicate a problem with the motor or a motor bearing. Depending on the unit, oiling the motor or replacing a worn-out bearing usually fixes the problem. If the motor is humming and the fan blades aren’t turning, the motor might need to be replaced.
- Squealing may indicate a problem with the motor, a belt or a pulley. Belts can easily be tightened or replaced.
- Rattling and vibration is typically caused by a loose screw or bolt. Rattling from a loose fan hub can cause other bolts to come loose as well. This kind of noise could also result from a loose access panel.
- Clicking noises are generally linked to electrical problems, such as a bad relay, capacitor or contactor.
Air conditioner noises can be a maintenance or repair issue. Depending on the problem, it is also likely that the unit, or parts of the unit may need to be replaced.
What to Do If you Hear Unusual Noises
A noisy AC can indicate a serious problem, especially if the noises have recently become louder. Don’t take a chance. Turn off your unit, and call W A Air Conditioning. To learn more about the work we do, visit our air conditioning services page, or call our Trinity office at 936-594-5603. We are available to serve customers in Walker County, Texas, and the surrounding areas.Tags: air conditioner, causes, noise
June 18, 2015 4:15 pm